Springtime is around the corner. That means warmer temperatures and more time to enjoy the outdoors. So take the time now to prepare your home for the change of seasons. Whether inside or out, there many things you can do before spring has sprung.
- Clear Your Rain Gutters. You’ve accumulated a lot of debris in your gutters over the past several months. Clean them out on your own or ask a professional to help. That way, your gutters will be ready to handle the first spring shower.
- Change the Filters in Your Home. To maintain high air quality in your home, replace your HVAC system’s air filter seasonally as well as the filter in your kitchen range hood. And if you have a water purification system, check that filter and change it if necessary.
- Check Your Lawnmower. Be sure your lawnmower is ready to go to work for you in the coming months. You may need to drain and replace the oil, sharpen the blades, remove caked-on grass and mud, and lubricate any moving parts.
- Get Your Grill Ready for Use. As the temperatures rise, you’re probably getting excited to spend more time outdoors with family and friends, grilling burgers, and hanging out. Take some time to ensure your grill is in good working order—scrape away any rust, clean the grill inside and out, and check the fuel tank hose to ensure it’s not damaged.
- Care for Your Lawn and Other Landscaping. Once the danger of frost has passed and your grass starts to come out of winter dormancy, it’s then time to get your lawn and landscaping routine started. First, review your yard to address any damage to your turf, trees, or shrubs. Next, seed bare patches of your lawn and remove broken or damaged tree limbs or shrubs. Then, weed your yard and fertilize your grass as needed. Finally, prune summer-blooming trees and shrubs and rake up any other debris or fallen leaves. It’s also a great time to plant bulbs if that’s your desire.
- Inspect Your Roof. Check your roof for cracked or missing shingles or tiles. And you may want to check the vents and the chimney for damage as well. It’s also an excellent opportunity to get your chimney cleaned as you won’t be using it for a while.
- Clean Your Windows Winter storms can leave your windows dirty (and you may not even realize it). Not only will you be able to see and enjoy the beautiful weather better, but you’ll allow more sunshine into your home.
While this is not an exhaustive list, it will undoubtedly help you get started. Some of these items are quick and easy to do, while others may require you to hire a professional or make a more significant purchase to get your home ready.
If you need assistance paying for any of your home prep tasks, we can help. Consider a home equity line of credit or credit card to make quick and easy purchases at a low rate, with many extra benefits. Give us a call at 405-755-1000, or use video banking to get started.