Your home is your safe haven. A place where you can relax and recharge after a long day. But in the midst of so much that’s uncertain all around, how can you keep your home the sanctuary it should be every day?
Here are a few things you can do to create a more positive atmosphere in your home:
1. De-clutter. You’ll immediately begin to feel more energized and motivated when you clean out the clutter in your home. Start with a space that causes you the most stress, such as the kitchen counter, your extra bedroom, a junk drawer, or even a nightstand. Everything should have a place – you should keep it, donate it, or throw it away. Maybe you can reorganize a space, so you have room for all your things. Whatever the case may be, once you start to feel the positive effects of a clutter-free home, it will be easier to maintain it.
2. Add some color. This doesn’t mean you need to paint all the walls in your home (you can if you want, but it’s not necessary) – it means you should add or change up the color in different areas of your home. For example, purchase a different style of bedding, put new throw pillows on your couch, or buy a new rug. Focus on colors that speak to you, so you continuously feel the peace and positivity you need in your home.
3. Bring in nature. Adding plants or flowers to your kitchen or living room (or wherever else it fits with your home décor) helps you bring in the natural beauty you enjoy outside into your home. Plus, plants can actually improve the quality of the air you breathe in your home. If you don’t have a green thumb, try some options that don’t require much maintenance, or you may consider faux plants.
4. Light up your rooms. Studies have shown that naturally lit rooms tend to boost productivity, improve your mood, and create an overall tranquil atmosphere in your home. So open up your curtains or blinds more often. Rearrange your furniture or remove items that may be blocking the light from entering a room. And, while it’s still warm outside, clean your windows and screens to maximize the sunlight you receive each day.
5. Add a pleasing scent. What aroma brings you the most joy? Consider lighting candles or using aromatherapy oils or sprays to bring your home to life every day. Try different fragrances that make your home feel warm and inviting – and even peaceful.
6. Turn on some music. One of the simplest ways to relieve stress is to listen to music – it overwhelms your senses and relaxes your body quickly. Play your favorite music in the background as you get home at a volume that will help you feel rested. If you need to get everyone ready to clean or work on a project, crank up the music. You’ll instantly see the positive effect it will have on your home. Consider using sounds like the ocean or other parts of nature to add a calming effect when you need it.
By following these tips, you can create a more positive and inviting home. With a small investment of your time and money, you can make your home anything you’d like it to be – no matter what’s going on in the world.
If you need a little help funding some of your changes, consider a Quail Creek Bank credit card or home equity line of credit. To apply for a credit card, click here, and for a home equity line of credit, click here or call 405-755-1000.